Thursday, October 6, 2011

The depth of compassion (#979)

If you follow this blog at all you know I believe that we have two natures, one curiosity and the other compassion, plus the wild-card will to survive. I use the word compassion to describe our heartfelt emotions. Whether simply as being kind or of the ultimate, mortal sacrifice for others. Between the two extremes of kindness and mortal sacrifice we find that most of our compassion exists in varying degrees. Yesterday I found mine in a sudden way aimed toward a friend who meant something special to me and was taken in a sudden and terrible way. We all suffer loss and it is our nature to grieve and mourn in ways that help us to move forward. That is the one great hope out of this is that the future continues to come and regardless of who is here or gone, the future makes no promises. I truly know my emotional experiences are deep within me and make up much of who I am. Don't get me wrong, my curiosity and the logic of things are heavily important but without the emotion they stir within us, they are but dry and dusty values. More than what I think is what I feel about what I think. The combination of the two is where my soul and my character meet. Each time I am leveled so low in despair over loss I am continually reminded that the losses I have endured were because of the people who affected me deeply. This is just another day to most and yesterday is gone, however this blog post will serve to mention to existence that a single life in this world is more than just a statistic or another human among many. We each have a gift to offer and when that gift is offered and then recognized by others and is abruptly taken away, it will matter to those who don't have the specialness of that gift any longer. I know what that hollow feeling is in my gut and it won't be filled soon enough. Goodbye like-minded good friend.

No comments: