Saturday, March 10, 2012

Do we expect more from ourselves? (#1135)

How much is enough? Seems like a common question we all face from time to time. Are we satisfied with what we do and what we expect from ourselves? Mostly, I do allow myself to be satisfied with what I try and/or accomplish. That is what got me thinking about this subject. I am selling myself short to myself when I think I have done enough in most cases. I need to broaden my expectations of myself to beyond the serving of my own interests out toward interests beyond me. By doing so I am not trying to inflate my ego, on the contrary, I am seeking to expand my humility. It is just that I do believe that my capabilities, not unlike everyone else's, has greater potential than we realize. The human experiment has had several millenniums to discover what our parameters are generally, but more specifically, we are still experimenting. I will not sit back on some foregone assumption of what I can or can't do as the basis for how I live. I am one of those pesky envelope pusher, you know the kind that tries to get a little bit more out of himself, simply because, for the most part, I don't know when to stop. My stubborn nature helps me to see that I have more within me that is not being used and that piques my curiosity. These days I think of myself as an experiment that has a foundation of unlimited permutations. Not only am I open to expand my knowledge base but I am open to pushing my limits for action. I know that as a human I am only capable of so much but what is the limit of this "so much"? I am a human data processing entity, with emotions and drives that interconnect in ways that make categorizing what I am capable of difficult at best, even given historical data about we humans. The real wild card though is that my mind is relentless and just when I think I have had enough, I go and do just a little bit more.

No comments: