Monday, October 1, 2012

Cognitive dissonance (#1340)

Cognitive dissonance is a disharmony between belief and reality. Doing something that violates our own personal beliefs. The trouble begins initially when we place such a value on a belief system that regardless of reality, there will always be conflict. We create that ourselves. There are many among us who are unable to admit that they just don't know, and instead allow their ego to prioritze what is right and what isn't. My personal philosophy on belief syustems is that they are "hoped for systems" and not "truth set in stone systems". I am very much a pragmatist, allowing logic, science, nature and observation, to shape and define my belief system. A system that is in flux with time and space. I have been aware of the absolute fact that there is very little of the complexity of the world that I know about, hence I can admit often that "I don't know". I don't leave much room for a cognitive dissonance to exist between my ears or in my chest. I am well satisfied that most difficult decisions in life do not require that I know the answer to them. I may want a certain outcome, however, that is hoping, not precluding. I am able to accept and either resign myself to the outcome or turn my force of will toward the outcome to improve it. I cannot change the initial outcome until I first accept it's existence. Here is where denial comes into play for so many. They have a tendency toward denying the fact of a thing in order to satisfy their own egoistic, (immovable belief system), understanding. It can be an individual solution for a time but it's application to reality is nonsensical. By truthfully admitting that I don't know, I am well on my way to dismissing the struggle and confusion that cognitive dissonance perpetrates. 

No comments: