Sunday, November 11, 2012

Always question the question (#1381)

Simply akin to the Socratic Method. Asking a series of questions which allow the listeners to formulate their own answers or understandings. I like this method of learning. It allows for us to use our own reasoning based upon our own knowledge base to define what may be right, good or true answers. Most of us have similar knowledge bases however our perspectives are not as similar as one may opine. I am not a contrarian by strategy but it does seem to fit my modus operandi. So much in life is rationalized as a given and I refute that foundational assumption. Certainly there are known truths and facts that I accept but not as many as there are promoted. I do question most everything and when I am questioned about more complex issues I find that returning a question as an answer helps me to understand the nature of the questioner and their motive. Not all questions are asked for the purpose of true honorable enlightenment and distinguishing between the few that are and the many that are not, is done by answering questions with questions. Once I have established that the questions are legitimate questions of honest inquiry, I then like to answer questions with more questions as to help the questioner realize the scope of the question being asked. If I can enlarge the panorama of the possible answers, I have then given the questioner more possibilities of seeing their initial question with a deeper understanding. Most answers are simple and general to be sure, but if we can breakdown the subject of the question into it's varying parts, it helps the questioner realize they have the answer within them already but just need a process for retrieving it through their own logical sequencing. I would rather teach someone how to reason for themselves than to spoon feed them answers without them having to do reason, analysis and conclusions on their own.

No comments: