Monday, November 1, 2010

The perception of reality (#640)

We base most everything we do on how we perceive things. What that perception entails is the discussion of this post. Most often we accept facts or truths based on how we receive them. It is not as often a circumstance where we will do our own research to establish the validity of information presented. We generally accept information based upon a pattern of belief in the information giver and/or an alignment with our personal philosophy. However, this is not the best way to know facts. Facts can be found through researching claims made as to their validity. Some facts can be interpreted various different ways but the actual fact or facts themselves must be irrefutable. I find most people, whom I am in contact with, have many assumptions about events or thoughts that are not first-hand or completely known. It is common to be aware of some parts of events and form and speak opinions, but to be able to say with certainty requires indisputable knowledge of the event or theory. I have found that when I am researching a topic or event, I am almost certain that I cannot form a concrete analysis to an absolute. Occasionally I am able, over time, to be as knowledgeable as I can be and prescribe an informed opinion based upon many factors. More often then not I am left with only a response of I am not sure or I don't know. Those responses are correct to give since they are the truth for me. I do not need to be that guy who has all these "indisputable" opinions. I need to be the guy who wants to know the true nature of things and be an objective interpreter of those things that I can comment about. Facts and truths are concrete forms that are not subjective analysis that can be opinionated about because of the reasonableness of their alignment with my philosophy. I gain my philosophy by interpreting facts based upon objective reasoning and conclusions, not by fitting the facts into whatever philosophy I happen to ascribe to.

No comments: