Thursday, March 24, 2011

A greater overview (#783)

This post is about outlook. An overall outlook on the circumstances and situations we find ourselves in as life continues for us. It is at times that I get overwhelmed and start to feel frustrated and helpless by the general weight of all the activity necessary for me to live my life. I could get to a cynical place if I didn't have an overall point of view. I know that society is structured to keep us busy in a positive way as opposed to anarchy or chaos. It is an artificial structure designed to maintain order. It is far from perfect or even fair. I have no illusion about that. In other words our social structure is a work in progress. I keep that in mind as the weight of my responsibilities grows proportionally larger with my greater involvement in society. As I improve the quality of my life, I also create more responsibility for myself. It is in this creating more responsibility that I often understand the overwhelming aspect of my decisions and how they effect not only me but others as well. No one is born into a state of being where they feel no anxiety or apprehension at facing new or unknown paradigms. It is a learned behaviour and with practice comes precision. The fear of all the constant changes would smother me if I wasn't able to rise above all the activity in my mind and see that I am alive and gifted with opportunities that matter and that I choose to continue because I feel the strength to improve. All of which is happening in my life is normal, regardless of the newness of it to me. It is just motion, which I do regardless of choice. For me, I know that I get to rise my head above the din of movement and reflect on the notion of my being alive and able to do so many things. This always refreshes me so that I can put my nose to the wheel of life and move forward as I see I should.

2 comments:

Loiteringatmidnight said...

I don't belive that being realistic about our circumstances is the same as being cynical; although it may come off as being so. I am frustrated with our world Carl and I have no illusions as to our survival if we continue on this path. You are a "man of hope" and belive that society will change for the better before it is to late, but I do not belive the evidence supports that hope Carl. We are not learning, not even from our mistakes. As soon as it is out of the news cycle we go back to the status quo and the same old bad habits. Our mistakes are piling up and every one is another step closer to our demise. I do not mean to rain on your parade friend, nor do I wish to dampen your positivity as it gives me some hope in our dark times. However it is coming to a point where it is no longer a question of how to change it but how to save what we can and survive.

Man of Hope said...

Realism is an outlook as well as cynicism, They are exclusive. I am talking about cynicism as a default position when things get overwhelming Jonathan. I get to choose how I view things, and I base that choice on my greater understanding of human nature and not on any of the aggravating or frustrating continuums that lead me to cynicism or fatalism. Even if I am the last of the believers in our true nature I will have accomplished my purpose for living. That being living in the hope that compassion and curiosity shall prevail. I am only me and that has to be good enough!