Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Don't live beyond your means (#3350)

     Most people I know including most of my family are trying to keep up with the Joneses. They think that the American dream is to have what they want. What they don't get is that they want too much! They are more concerned about appearances than they are about being examples of good people who live good lives. They fake their goodness so much that it is just second nature for them. They also cannot give up the idea that they "deserve" more than what they actually have. Always trying to manipulate the system so that they can avoid any cost that they should be honoring. They really do miss the boat on what is right for the world instead of just better for themselves. Greed gone amuk!
     I keep my life simple. If I owe taxes I pay them I don't try to wriggle out of them by playing fast and loose with illusions. There is no real way to live life other than to accept it's responsibilities and then honor them. No shortcuts aimed at diminishing responsibilities in lieu of principled behavior. Many I know still want the big house with all the trimmings even though they cannot afford it any longer. The illusion of theirs to still be looked upon as "special" is based upon falseness. I know it is hard to admit that we are not the mighty economic engines we may have been in the past but admitting it and then changing to fit the current situation brings back real honor, not false honor. I personally don't care what anyone thinks about how I live. I live real and I make it work barely but it does because I honor it.
     So accept whatever situation you are in as to your own economic situation and reduce as needed. Reality dictates that, which is an image that is real. Sacrifice and change as needed to adapt and then keep your honor in doing things right without cheating yourself and all that you are duly bound to hold with dearness. Our democracy requires us to interact with a sense of purpose and respect, not one up someone or something when they are not looking. The shortcut takers and the cheaters have that as their legacy, not me. I accept my obligations and gladly fulfill them because I honor and respect the necessity of making our democracy work. If we all carried our load with pride the lift to our democracy would be much easier for all of us.

No comments: