The idea that basic foundational knowledge is filling the minds of our children is a mirage. I am no brilliant mind but I can add and subtract with some easy efficiency. I can read a book or a paper and not find it too difficult to follow the logic or story. In other words my education was well rounded within ordinary life events. What I am finding is that too many of our younger in the workforce are less adept at configuring, understanding, and rationalizing at basic levels. The reading, writing, and arithmetic of my learning was solid leaving me time to grow into more complex considerations.
I don't know what the curriculum of our present day teachers are given to teach but it seems to be missing the mark in allowing for critical thinking to form on it's own. Are the students given information that doesn't let them decide if it is good or not? Are they being told what is good and what is not? For me it is kind to let people know when danger is afoot but it is also growth for people to learn to recognize the danger for themselves. We want to advance our children as thinkers in a world of creative innovation, not some bystanders who are clueless as to how to be part of that dynamic. What we shouldn't be teaching is our preferred ideals instead of an open panoramic vision of possibilities.
I see so much of what is going on around us and how the lack of logic is incorrectly reinforced through opinion. Where the rules of logic are constant and widely accepted worldwide, opinion seems to be so easy to support that it makes logic difficult to break through. Time is always on the side of logic and opinions come and go with changing reality. If we move further from logic then less will make sense. If we move closer to logic then we become more understanding of how our interconnected world works. Logic in basic is premise upon premise analyzed for validity for ascertaining a conclusion. You can count on the conclusion always being the same given the same set of circumstances. That is reliance and we need reliance now more than ever instead of constantly changing opinion!
No comments:
Post a Comment