Saturday, July 25, 2026

(#6383) The duality of human simplicity and complexity

    Unlike Schrodinger's cat in the box with a subatomic particle, we humans can be in two states at once with our being. Mentally of course, not physically. For example let's take my recent milestone of not having had an alcoholic drink of any sort in the last 20 years. It is both at the same time an easy thing for me to do and a complex thing for me to do. Easy in that I do not allow myself near alcohol, and hard because my mind is always trying to tell me how magnificent I am as a human being. My mind will tell me that I can swim with dolphins or go to the moon in a spacesuit and walk around. Why not just have one drink once in awhile to enjoy the adventure of it all.
     So there is this duality in me that exists both opposites at the same time. They coexist. In the case of the alcohol decision, I stay away from it because I do know that one drink is never one drink with me. So my simple side has effectively won out over my complex side every time so far and I will continue to strive to maintain that equilibrium. I have said this may times, We human beings are an amazing species. Each ad every one of us is unique and similar in uncountable ways. So us having the consistency of our purpose in life figured out allows us to navigate ourselves to a better life experience.
     As to knowing a purpose for ourselves, that to me is also more simple than complex. I exist and I know I exist. I am therefore I am-Descartes paraphrased. I am not a figment of an imagination I am real so what I learn, think, and understand is who I am and what I do with that gives me purpose. We are all different but in one way we are all the same. We eventually expire. So the concept of time is relative to our decisions and choices. I am very comfortable with how I see myself. In some ways I am wise and others I am still learning. Experience brought me this far along with rationalization. I expect that in the time I have left I won't ever come close to understanding or explaining truly how amazing our species is. Equally though, the simplicity and complexity within me is grudgingly agreeable with that outcome. Only grudgingly, because I do expect more from myself regardless of my many faults and frailties.

No comments: