Monday, January 31, 2011

Courage is uncommon (#731)

It is in all areas of our lives that courage can be employed but is not as implemented as I had hoped. My flawed understanding that people would "naturally" do whatever was needed to protect and advance better ways of living, has taken a hit. It had never occurred to me that standing up for ideals that we ourselves talk about and teach our children would be so difficult to actually do. What I have come to see however is that the cost of doing  a positive thing is too great for most people. I at times do the same thing myself. Courage is not an automatic reaction. it must be calculated I have found out. It is the human condition I suppose to fear before acting courageously. It has been my experience to see that courage is a relatively little used reaction. Time has had it's way with us and inured us to the sensitivity required to care enough to stand for something we know is right despite the difficulty it may bring upon us. It seems that courage that causes us difficulty is frowned upon and even laughed at. As if being noble in thought and action is less than what some human(s) may think. It is always curious to me why we would take a noble principle and place it beneath an ignoble act of dismissal. Anything that is a positive principle in utilization will no doubt be hard. Is it the hard that so dissuades us and allows us to, in this case, falsely label courage? We all share the same human frailties of doubt and question our own abilities to measure up to what is right and proper. We all share this. That is still no excuse for lying to ourselves so that we may feel better about our decisions to shirk courage when it offers it's opportunities. Our principles make up our real lives, when we deny our principles we are denying ourselves.

No comments: