Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The daily battle against cynicism (#719)

The many models for information gathering and spreading has become anathema to truth as the premise for our conclusions. I have been deluged with propaganda that at it's core is meant to confuse and create false impressions. How is this possible in an era of enlightened thought and reasoning? Easier than what you would think. Specifically, because we are not doing our own individual thinking for ourselves. Apparently we are too busy to learn what reality is and instead "must" rely on outside or familiar sources to tell us what the truth is. It is convenient to live like that. I mean really, just sit back and have someone tell us what to think and how to act. It is almost god-like to be served that way. Oh, and by the way, what we are told must be the truth otherwise so many others would not be listening. The cocoon or artificial world we sometimes and most times allow ourselves to be a part of is dangerous and dulls our own abilities to live our life according to our own principles. If you have ever read "The allegory of the cave" in Plato's Republic, an eerie similarity runs concurrent. If we allow ourselves to be spoon-fed our information, then we are not the masters of our own destiny or even our own identity. I am not saying all information is bad or deceptive, what I am saying is that if I don't take the time to investigate each opinion or "fact" as it is presented then I am not allowing myself the right to disagree. I give up my voice as a challenge, improvement or agreement, if all I do is parrot someone else's talking point. Citizenship requires us to be informed, it does not tell us how to do that but if objectivity is the truth and fact, then we must as citizens investigate what comes to us as news, facts or truth.

No comments: