Saturday, January 22, 2011

Reasoning for actions (#722)

It is conventional to hear someone say that "they do this because they can". It is a superficial, cavalier statement at best and mindless to consequences statement at worst. It has a power to it that somehow rewards the thinkers of this in a personal way. I personally have said this in the past and have no good reason for it other than to gloat or fulfill some primal need to be in control. What has changed with me, in that I don't use this type of thought process anymore? It is the actual inverse of the statement that has evolved itself into my way of thinking. "I don't do this because I won't". It is a fitting place for me to start. If I do something today it is because I have a reason for it. Not only that but a reason that has principled motive behind it. Inversely, I don't do things today because I can find no principled motive of any value to justify it. A big change from the self-seeking individual I had been to the selfless individual I have become. I have even expanded this way of thinking into how I wish to reflect my ideals about my hopes. Yes, I am even applying a strict action in the present to what my hopes to the future may be. In other words, if my hopes are to come to fruition I will be in a position to fully honor them. My actions prior to the possibility of realizing a hope will provide the proof that my hope was of a pure and true nature. Say what, you say? It is simple, if I want something important enough I will be living as if I already have it. It is a principled statement through my actions that will mirror the belief in my hope. Certainly I will be disappointed in that not all hopes can come true as far as I have experienced. Despite this my honor dictates to me today that if it truly is a hope worth having it is a hope worth believing and acting as if it will come true, whether it does or not.

No comments: