Monday, May 28, 2018

The material world versus the humble world (#3405)

     Stuck in a situation where you have to keep doing bad or wrong things because your material world dictates it? Where you cannot stop doing what you are doing or you will lose all or most of your material wealth and comfort? More often than not that is why many do bad or wrong. It is a cycle that cannot be broken because the nature of it demands it. So what do you do with your conscience? Most practice a response to cognitive dissonance that underplays the truth and enhances the immediate necessary. In other words, they deny themselves of right so that they can continue to maintain their wealth and comfort. I see it everyday in our society at all levels. A justification, regardless how inept in order to maintain and validate their choices.
     It is as if there is a knee jerk reaction to protect wealth more so than to protect the truth. So on the scale of dearness it seems that the truth is not as high a priority as wealth accumulation and maintenance. I get that the tangibility of wealth, or the lack thereof, is important, yet do not our principles for life matter any less when all is said and done? What is material wealth in contrast to having strived to live a good and honest life for the most part? I am no genius nor brilliant mind and as such my chances of acquiring wealth through merit and creative thinking is and was close to nil. I choose to live a life that does not lie, cheat or steal to acquire wealth so the only other avenue would have been through some magnificent concept coupled with the industriousness to make it happen. It was not in me to attempt.
     But given another option for my life, I was able to achieve a much more satisfying paradigm. I choose to be a good person and forego the trappings and siren call of wealth. I don't have the cognitive dissonance moments because my choices are based on my principles for living which are closer to honorable than not. I am no perfect soul yet my striving to be the best of who I am precludes me from chasing material wealth. I am truly a simple man who wants for little, especially when so many have none. My life is mine and what happens within it belongs to me and in no scenario would I ever let the whirligig of the often chaotic material world dictate to me what the truth is outside of what the truth actually is.

No comments: