Thursday, July 12, 2012

Actions always speak louder than words (#1259)

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating.", as the old saying goes and that requires action. The results of my actions are what significantly demonstrates my intent. Certainly I don't get the result I always strive for but the effort I put into the action is indicative of my original intent. Such is the case for those who actually achieve their intent. Others are more diffuse about what they say and let their words speak to their intent. Those people are the ones to be wary of. Self congratulatory boastings are easy to give and then just as easily forgotten some time later. That is why I follow the actions of words to their conclusion before I subscribe to someone's claims of intent. There are many in our society that find saying much and doing little is an easy route to success. How is that possible? Apparently it works through the guise of bait and switch. Say what you need to say at one time then adjust the intent to some other promise when it is convenient. I can tell everyone all day long what a great guy I am but have little of anything to back that claim up except my word on it. How am I to be judged on the merits of my being a great guy? Through my actions is how. This "great guy" example is simple but it does reveal that words are just words without be backed up with action. Shall you just take my word for it? Should I provide proof of my claim, since I am the one making the claim? I cannot expect that since no one is refuting my claim to be a great guy, is evidence that I am a great guy. I have to provide examples of my great guy claim. So what have I done to allow myself to call myself a great guy? I need to give evidence proving it. The burden of proof is on me to explain to everyone the actions I have taken to show why it is true that I am a great guy. Anyone who is willing to tell me that they are a great guy without first explaining to me some examples of their greatness are just not being truthful and therefore are being deceptive. The main reason anyone would be deceptive about a claim they do not give examples for is that they are trying to gain some honor that they do not deserve.

No comments: