Friday, August 10, 2012

The high road is the only good road (#1288)

If you ever wonder why it is so that when you do what is right and good you feel right and good, then you have found the little secret to having happiness front and center in your life. I don't have a lot of things I know would make me more happy but what I do have is the threshold of happiness because I want and will continue to take the high road in life. I don't live in revenge, regret or other negative thoughts and actions. Of course I do learn from my mistakes and apologize with sincerity for my mistakes, but I don't allow those things that are not of a positive nature to infiltrate my way of life. When a job needs done then it needs done right. When the truth needs to be told then the truth is acknowledged. I don't seek out shortcuts to make my responsibilities less mine and more someone else's. Instead, I embrace those things that fall to me and accept my duty to exemplify the qualities I have found to be the most human and most honorable. I have a concrete understanding of what it is to be human; curious and compassionate with a will to survive. By starting from this foundation, I flush out the best of what being curious and compassionate can be. I can only do that by taking the high road in life. There is plenty there in defining what the high road looks like to keep me busy for the rest of my life and anything else is "much ado about nothing". One very important lesson I have learned over time is that I cannot control much of anything outside my own self. Once I figured that out life has been a marvelous adventure in the scope of me and the choices I can make. The high road, or more clearly, doing what is right despite all the other alternatives out there, has been what has made me the man I am. Someone who is self-assured, takes pleasure in the little things in life, and brought out the self confidence that I had buried oh so long ago. Life makes sense on the high road!

No comments: