Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The enculturation of superstitions, myths and mores (#3616)

     As time flies by in the era of human beings we see the settling in of many of our more ancient superstitions, myths and mores as accepted practices. The holiday seasons are a perfect example. Regardless of religion or not, we like to take a break and do something worthwhile for each other. At least many of us do. But to hold onto the dogmas of superstitions, myths and mores is not becoming of an enlightened society unless of course it is strictly personal and not for advocacy. I am all for a personal belief system that holds only its believer accountable to its understandings as long as the rule of law and democratic ideals are not superseded in practice.
     I have a belief system that works perfectly for me and it is NOT related to superstition, myth or more. It is an awareness that we are all linked in our universe with all things. A part of something that is vast and as of now unknowable. However I don't get my belief from any religion. I get my belief from science and the fact of reason, analyzing and concluding. Reality is my religion and as cold and hard as reality can be it is also a warm emotional path as well. What tempers the difference between the poles for me is my curiosity. I see the cold hard and warm emotional and say to myself that for them to coexist, there must be more in between them. In living my life daily I do recognize the in between and apply the outcome.
     I don't have the faith of a belief system believer like the religions of today advocate. I cannot put my faith into that which defies logic and science. I might as well make up a new religion that doesn't have the contradictions and believe in it as any other. Yet I am not a child of make believe any longer. The days of Aesop's fables or other well known cultural bedtime stories are bygone for me and what has been out in front of me is the unanswered questions of our day. I like to spend my time reasoning out new evidence from modernity than trying to understand old flawed dogma of antiquity. Needless to say it doesn't make me popular at all in the circles that still live through their belief systems as they continue to celebrate superstitions, myths and mores as real and factual. Such is the end times of my life yet I will not succumb to join them in any alternative reality.

No comments: