Wednesday, August 4, 2021

(#4568) Democrats, yes even Manchin, are working on another voting rights protection bill.

      I was encouraged to see that the John Lewis Voting Rights bill is not going to flounder. It will necessarily take on a different composition but at this point that is acceptable given the other options. As I have been unwell the past several days and left to spending too much time inside my own difficult to describe mind, it was a good jolt to my confidence to see that the one and only Amy Klobuchar is spearheading the effort to get a voter protection bill passed through Congress. I didn't say just passed through the House or ready for a vote in the Senate, I said passed through Congress with Joe Biden itching to sign it into law.
     That is the part that woke me from my own inner troubled slumber and washed me with a hope I had not felt for many weeks to months about a voting protection bill becoming law and wiping out the advantages that republicans in the States have passed to limit free and fair voting. What further captured my mind was the inclusion of Joe Manchin as a coauthor of such a bill. Now given that Joe has been an undeniable protector of the senate filibuster, it may surprise some of you that Joe would even waste his time if the bill were never going to see the light of day against the filibuster.
     Well that was the tricky part of what I read. According to Amy Klobuchar, all options are still on the table to find a way to pass the eventual new voting protection bill through the Senate without compromising the Senate rule Joe Manchin holds so dear. So I expect that there will be some kind of twisted logic that will prevail that let's the coming bill pass the Senate with only 50 plus 1 vote. I don't know the form of this new category of letting a voting rights bill pass but if I know Amy Klobuchar like I think I do now she will be behind its formulation. Thanks to people like Amy, we just may get our progressive wish list, albeit pared down during the Biden Administration.

No comments: