Thursday, October 3, 2024

(#5723) Like Harris says, "Our unity is our strength, and our diversity is our power"

      When we as a society are united it is a thing to behold. I know when I am all in on something there is a specialness to my behavior and actions that I can feel as strength. In my youth when I was in high school I was fortunate to have been bussed to a high school with full diversity. If I hadn't been bussed I was scheduled to go to a primarily white school with practically no diversity. I was in one of those in junior high school so I had already experienced that dynamic and was comfortable with that association. So when I was in high school I had to open myself up to new experiences that diversity exposed to me.
     Like all at first there was a feeling out process where uncertainty eventually was replaced with a new confidence that I could be a human being in and amongst other human beings. My perception was changed from the unknown to the not only known but not different from my own experiences. I found that the diversity I was in alliance with was broadened by my new experiences. The foundation was the same as with my all white associations but now included different races I now knew with an equal footing. For me the diversity present within our school became such a force due to tensions during that time that a melding of togetherness overruled any apprehension about cultural differences.
     All these years later I still embrace that diversity I was inculcated with to the point of knowing my life was forever changed for the better because of it. When it comes to the races of the world I know for a fact that there is only one race, the human race, and our diversity truly is our power. This election is personal to me. I see Harris as a culmination of the decision to bus me and others like me all those decades ago to change the unknown to the known. She is like all of us in that she understands that unity is strength and diversity is power.. For those who didn't get the gift of bussing in order to assimilate with other races believe me when I tell you that it was powerful growth with a mindful awareness toward knowledge building for the better.

No comments: