Monday, September 3, 2018

I have to build a wall this month (#3503)

     The wall is actually a fence that my neighbor and I share. It will be over a hundred feet long and replace the one now that is patched and ready for the first good wind to knock it down. A wood fence made of redwood pickets between post spaced at eight feet. What we call around here a good neighbor fence. We each pay half of whatever it costs to dismantle the old and install the new. Now I already did that with my neighbor on the other side about three years ago so it is good and my back fence is chain link that separates my property from the Arcade Creek. That part of the creek bordering me is a preserve so only wildlife is allowed to exist back there.
     The fence I am replacing this month will be with my Mexican/American neighbors who still have a lively household and backyard parties that rival any in my neck of the woods. The mariachi music and more contemporary Latino sounds ring out when the gatherings occur. I actually enjoy the upbeat music and am quite content with all who attend. Very well mannered guests. My main contact next door speaks broken English but well enough for us to communicate. The fence is necessary for us to keep our animals separate but in a perfect world we get along so well that no fence would otherwise be required. This is my relationship with a different culture, I welcome it.
     So the two households will work together to make this fence happen and as is the case I am a very good fence builder. My background outside the more academic is in construction and the years I put into framing and supervising both residential and commercial properties has left me with all the tools and know how to make this fence a beautiful thing as well as plumb and lined. The diversity on our block is representative of the diversity of our nation with all welcome who would make our living experiences more happy than frustrating. It seems to be working as although the neighborhoods around us seem to have troubles we don't here even though we are diverse and not at all well off.

No comments: