Saturday, September 15, 2018

Physically tired mentally happy (#3515)

     I got a job done here at the house that I had been processing in my head for several years. In my past I was a house and building framer who did outside decks, siding and fences as well. I am much older now and the work that was tough back when I was younger is even more so now. I have two neighbors on either side of me and a creek that borders my property on the back. The back fence is chain link and there is rarely any activity back there except wildlife. But on the two sides I have good neighbors who decided with me to build good neighbor fences. I finished the one side a couple of years ago and just yesterday finished the other one.
     Those of you who own homes with property taxes and insurance payments that are no small amounts on a limited income will know that doing major repairs on the home or property can be mentally exhausting when trying to save is very difficult. But I was able to do that and with each neighbor providing their share of the funds for materials we were able to get both our badly needed fences replaced. For my part I took on the role of foreman and ramrodded the jobs as well as made sure of quality control since neither neighbor was much good with a hammer. I worked my tail off to make sure that everything was done the right way, no shortcuts, and specifically kept the fences lined and plumb.
     I am sitting here now with very sore hands and many cuts on the ends of my fingers. My body is hurting in all the usual places a bit more but my mind is happy because the job is done and it was done well. I nailed every nail and screwed every screw because having a clean pattern of fasteners was more important to me than an apprentice neighbor making a mess of the nailing. Over a thousand nails hammered in and the carpal tunnel in both my wrists doesn't feel good. My back is so sore from taking out old posts and concrete to putting in new posts and concrete. But all that said, I am one very happy albeit a bit temporarily wounded man. I am probably too old to be working like a young man but since this will be the last time I replace a fence on my property it was well worth the financial savings and the old reminders of aches and pains was a willing price to pay. :)

No comments: