Saturday, July 24, 2021

(#4557) 15 years of facing reality head on

      Unless you had been like me and dealt with your problems with alcohol it is not easy to understand what all the fuss is about not drinking alcohol anymore. So for me to make a switch in time to denying myself the reality changing drink was not easily done. Sure at first it was easier because I had to for so many reasons out of immediate necessity. But after that first many months of no drinking the internal desire to change back into the old habits began to kick in. But at that point in my life I had surrounded myself with too many good like minded people who as a whole we held each other up for motivation and purpose.
     As the years began to pass by with great success at not drinking it just became more habit to not drink alcohol than it had previously been to drink alcohol. I was able to watch life change around me without me ignoring it at my leisure. Instead I grasped reality with both hands and have over the years morphed into the advocate and arbiter of better things devoid of my own wants and needs. I became the better man I had always hoped to become and all I had to do was to embrace reality at all times and then let my own inner compass take me to wherever I eventually end up. I am on a journey to live life not hide or ignore it anymore.
     We all have our faults and mine was to put booze first and then let everything else fall into place as it were. Which wasn't very pretty. I needed to grow up in my own life and today marks another milestone in that growth. Long way to go yet but at least my path has been steady and true with no time for compromise in this area of my life. It is good being a clear minded individual who deals with problems at my best and not my worst. I would not be alive today had I not made that determined choice 15 years ago and so easily for me it is to say that life has been better than I had hoped for because of it. Thanks to all who are in my life. :)

No comments: