Tuesday, March 28, 2023

(#5168) Into my fourth week back in the workforce

     I am sitting here on a day off as I now reflect back at my fourth week of work. I have gotten past the deer in the headlights phase of trying to understand the basics of what I am tasked to do. I pretty much know my basics now and am into the more nuanced learning of other aspects of how we operate as a company. I work for U-Haul as a transfer driver. That means I take trucks and trailers from one location and move them to another. Not just for having a wide selection of choices for customers but to rotate trucks and trailers in and out for preventative maintenance and repair. I operate out of the preventative maintenance and repair hub.
     So I start my day transferring vehicles and trailers back into operation while bring back vehicles and trailers that need inspections. It is busy work and it is important work. Many of the mechanics at the hub are employed to do these checks and repairs so each time I bring in another vehicle or trailer men keep working. We are all vital in the scheme of keeping vehicles and trailers safe but also in keeping a livelihood available as well. But I see my role as more than just a spoke in the wheel. I also deliver parts to the various auto and body repair outlets that handle specialized work and to our venders who lease the trucks for us. So I am not just transferring vehicles and trailers I am also delivering parts as needed.
     Figuring out the process for how to complete each task was a little tough at the beginning since I was thrust into production with just a minimum amount of training. Yet trial by fire has always been a good teacher for me and respecting those I have to ask advice from is the key. I feel like I am part of the team at U-Haul now because of the need for me to learn and how quickly I picked up the advice several have given me. It is good to say hello to my coworkers when our paths cross so that they know I am approachable and friendly. It is because I keep my good attitude intact. The reason for that is the work is honest and productive. I wouldn't have imagined that social aspect was so important at first but now it is a big part of why I am happy back out in the workforce.