Saturday, May 18, 2019

No one can tell you that you are good (#3760)

     This was a lesson that took me nearly 35 years to figure out. I am slow it seems, but I got there. The only one who can tell you that you are good is yourself. Do you do the right thing when the right thing is your choice. How do you feel about yourself when you don't do the right thing? These are two examples of actually knowing if you are good or not. First by doing the right thing you have forgone doing the wrong thing. And second, if you feel guilty for not doing the right thing when you could have then you are at your core a good person who needs to improve on your choices.
     I am a good person because it is correct to be so. I tried not being a good person and it killed me inside. I started to become the person that I most despised. My inner turmoil began to eat at my soul. So I stopped being selfish and cruel and instead let curiosity about our world and caring for all in it be my path. Funny how that works. Just by letting myself be me regardless of what anyone else said or thought made me feel so alive and happy. So no myths, mores and superstitions based on fairy tales for me. No more caring what others are doing and trying to be like them unless they are the best of what an honorable human being can become. No more listening to critiques of my life when it suits the agenda of others. I am a good person because I let myself be one.
     Because I care and wonder about things I have no room for the whirligig of chasing inanimate or animate objects. Living my life like a gift and trying with all my might to be the best person I could ever want to be keeps me too busy to allow myself to fall into the lure of advantages and privileges. It is real easy for me to explain. When I was a child I wanted to be a superhero. I know I can't be a superhero but that doesn't preclude me from making efforts where efforts are needed. It is a tremendous way to live and I recommend it to everyone who wants to give more than they want to receive. I know I have been gifted in life but I also know many more have not been and I feel obliged to change that dynamic anyway possible as a rule, not an exception.

No comments: