Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The Robert Kennedy quote (#4042)

     "Some men see things as they are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were, and ask why not."-Robert Kennedy. It is like this today in at least one respect. Unfortunately, too many people today see things as they are but they don't question why. They accept what reality as the best that it can be without questioning why it is the best it could be. I have lived long enough to know that it is far from the best it could be and like Kennedy, I question not only why but I dream as well of things that never were and ask why not. This isn't a box we live in. We get to create our own reality and if you are not working on what your version of reality should be then you are not really living, you are just existing.
     In the Allegory of the Cave, written about in Plato's republic, some just sat and stared at a wall of shadows and accepted that as reality. Once one got curious and crept out of the cave and saw the vast horizon of the world for the first time, this person realized that what we accept as good enough is nowhere near what we could have. Lessons are all around us as is information but if we don't choose to get up and look outside our caves we will never know that our lives could have been much more rewarding. For those of us who got up out of the cave we now dream of what could be and want the rest of us to join in making it real.
     I am not here to gain anything just for myself, I want the whole world to enjoy not only the happiness that comes with accomplishing great things but for our human species to move beyond the pettiness of disrespect and cruel control. Am I being too selfish to want all of us to live in a world where anyone's merit and hard work equals success? Am I asking too much for our society to not only take care of our young and helpless but our old and infirm as well? Our human species is capable of much better than the uncaring and unquestioning paradigm that is currently operating. Before I go on to my last breath I hope I can help change the future so that it isn't shadows on the wall we see but instead the bright light of day and the hope of a magnificent sunrise.
  

No comments: