Saturday, November 26, 2022

(#5046) Religion as a cudgel

      I would like to think that religion in its varying forms is foundational to all things good and great. Yet my understanding of religion belies that. What religion has been shown to be is more to do with control and boxing in people who otherwise would find different choices. Religion is now the great boogeyman of our time. Just there to scare and intimidate those who are not educated enough to know that myths and superstitions are not factual in reality. What is a cudgel? It is a weapon to strike fear into those who would otherwise feel its painful effect. A stick to herd the masses into a formation that is only relevant to the stick holder.
     Let me be absolutely clear here. There is no god nor a heaven and hell but that doesn't stop about half the world believing it anyway. I get it. Why would anyone not want to believe the fairy tale of eternal life? I mean come on, who doesn't want to live forever in perfection? Well even I wouldn't mind that. Yet I know it is not reality. It is a way to convince so many that doing what they are told is a pathway toward that rich reward. For me I would rather not live the entirety of my life being shown an illusion as my destiny. I would rather live my life in the confines of what is actually real. But I get that many don't. It is hard knowing that this world we live only a short time in is all there is.
     But the point is that if we don't except reality as our way forward we will likely not find answers to evolving into a species that deals with reality, with reality. Our future as a species is being threatened because are too afraid to let go of the religion pacifier. Again, I get it. Fear and trembling over a world without a benevolent god is hard to imagine. Yet that is exactly what our world is. So why not just let go of the binky and start making a life that has value without the shackles of superstition. I have spent the entirety of my life asking the question why? But in the meantime I have come to realize that we humans are born with two perfect traits, wonder and care. I wonder about everything and care about the same.

No comments: