Saturday, December 10, 2022

(#5060) We are not just boomers, we are now the boomer/orphans

      Most all of us are now orphans. It dawned upon me several weeks after my last biological parent died. Now some of us were lucky in a sense to have a step parent. That would be me so I am still not technically an orphan since my step father of 60 years is still alive and kicking. Yet for most others like me, literally, we have lost are parents to time and space. Those of us who encompass the boomer generation are not babies anymore we are who are parents were. There is no more crying on the shoulder of our elders like most of us have done so being the parent instead of the child is not any option anymore.
     I know this must come across as a bit callous and insensitive yet reality is just that. It takes no course change in its conclusion. We are for the most part orphans at an older age and regardless it is still stings. I wish my parents were still here but time and space is not something we can manipulate. So for all of us it is time to start acting like the adults in the room and be the caretaker of our younger ones. I have no children of my own but that doesn't change my responsibility to make every child's life better where I can. We boomer/orphans must be an example of what is good in life and not what is wrong with life. We are in the last stage of our being existential so leaving this world better than when we came to it is our manifest destiny.
     Then joys and pains we have appreciated and endured in our lifetimes are our foundation for deciding how to be a better person going forward. I have had some successes that made me an optimist while I have had many failures that taught me to do things differently. I, like most of us, have formed a bit of a wisdom about what is good in life and what isn't. So steering the young toward the good in life requires us to see life and our society in a different light. We all need to have the concept of what could have helped us in life that we can now advocate for. We need freedom of opportunity for all and equality for all and that is still not what we have today. So there is a starting point. Now just find your niche where you can advocate for things that improve instead of diminish you boomer/orphans.

No comments: