Monday, February 27, 2023

(#5139) Enjoying the rain

      All this week the rain has been coming down in a somewhat steady fashion. Which is good by the way so as to not flood my backyard. The intervals between rain have been enough so as to allow the creek to rid itself of the rainfall pretty quickly and then be ready for the next deluge of rain. I kind of like it this way even if I didn't have to worry about flooding. I can get outside and do my daily chores without the rain intervening in my work. It is also good for the ground outside so as to allow it to absorb the rain without it washing off into the creek area.
     It has also been briskly cold, near freezing but not quite. I like the feel of the cold on my face but not too much. It always reminds me of summer when I yearn for such a feeling. I don't get out and do much anymore since I really don't like leaving home unless it is necessary. So the rain is my entertainment for now and I am enjoying the effect and feel of it. Yes, I do go out into it just to have it get me slightly wet. It is nature watering it's greenery and for that I am well happy. The snow pack up in the mountains must be getting really deep and I expect the ski slopes this year will do a robust business. More so though the spring melt off will do wonders for increasing water levels for our reservoirs and lakes.
     The drought is still with us but this years rain will go a ways toward alleviating some of the worst effects of the drought after several years of little rain. I can hear the rain coming down on my flat roof with a good amount of force so right now the rain is pouring down and somehow that reassures me. I had a new roofing material put on this house last year so the previous leaks from years gone by are now all sealed up. In fact where the swamp cooler, yes swamp cooler, was on top of the house over the hallway was removed and where that vent hole was is now a skylight. So I can now see the rain hitting the skylight. Lots to do at this old house still but for now just sitting back and letting the rain soothe my soul is good enough.

No comments: