Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Another word about my being bussed in high school (#3819)

     It's not about fitting in it is about who you are. This is a mantra that has come to me over time to help me explain my high school years. When I knew I was going to be bussed from my familiar mostly all white junior high school I was apprehensive and just a little bit scared. Because the high school I was going to be sent to once I graduated from my junior high school was about an equal mixture of Latinos, African Americans, Asians, and Caucasians. A true melting pot at the time. but I had one clue already in that I played sports in the school system and in the parks and recreation system so I was already experienced with some diversity and its nuances.
     But my main goal once I got to high school was to fit in as quickly as I could so that a smooth transition would ensue. But what I found out was that there was nothing institutional about fitting in that could be done. We were all a little bit unsure of each other since all of us had been pretty much sheltered from each other. So what happened was that instead of hiding in our metaphorically "safe harbors" we were all forced to be the best version of ourselves in order to survive this larger pool of unknown actors. Which worked out pretty well for most of us since most people like people who are real and decent regardless of culture or race.
     I had to be who I was and then defend that at all costs. So my plan to fit in and cruise through without any trouble was instantly shattered and in its place was something I had to make and then protect. I didn't always do my best and there were some opportunities for me to stand tall and accept blame when it was due and in that I failed once or twice but overall I did a pretty good job of being a good person. I suppose that no perfect all the time can be found and if I think I could have been perfect through those years I am a fool. What I will say again though is that me being bussed to a diverse high school grew me up quicker, and better than not being bussed to a diverse high school.

No comments: