Wednesday, November 27, 2019

The good news is... (#3952)

     The good news is that the work I had done on my flat roof a couple of months ago weathered a harsh rain storm yesterday. The first rain we have had in many months by the way. I checked all the repaired areas from above in the house and no water anywhere. Of course and story that starts out with a lead like the good news is surely has a but coming. Which this story has. I found out the day before yesterday that my water pump had gone out and the two serpentine belt pulleys needed to be replaced. So careful shopping and as luck would have it I got all my new parts for right at about $100.
     I had the pulleys delivered to my house as they were out of stock at the auto parts store and they arrived yesterday. So my brother John and I began removing all the obstacles in the front of the motor that would let us get at the leaky water pump. After a few fits and starts we got there and again with some difficulty we got the bad water pump off. It was biting cold out there in the carport at about 4pm with the rain lashing and the wind blowing making the 40 Degree temperature feel like subzero. Anyway it was a good time to stop and we did so that today we could get a fresh start and put things back together with the new parts.
     If all goes well enough we should be done in a few hours with everything and me out giving my truck a test drive. It never ceases to amaze me how things turn on a dime out of nowhere. My truck has less than 60,000 miles on it so the water pump giving out was a real surprise but getting the thing repaired for about $100 is not bad for what it could have been at a repair shop, ie no less than $500. I can understand why the charge would be high because of the difficulty at getting not only to the water pump but the special tools needed to take it off. Luckily my brother john has special tools as his vocation was motor repair on cars and especially boats. What will today bring? Hopefully more rain so that I can at least feel good about my roof repair operation.

No comments: