Sunday, January 15, 2023

(#5096) Still loving the deluge of rain in California

      Here I am in Sacramento California experiencing a deluge of rain this Sunday morning. Good for many reasons the least of which it is a slow day for traffic so fewer accidents because of rain is expected. Plus the drenching of our soil once again to replenish the aquifers, and the rising levels of our lakes and aqueducts to be the result of this welcoming rain. I know many workers are not happy with the rain as it effects their outside livelihoods but they will have to soldier on for the good of our state. Many a year I worked outside in weather far worse in the states of Washington and Alaska. I still got my work done albeit with more difficulty.
     My motto on this rain is keep coming. The more the merrier. It will take a lot more rain than what we have been happily getting to make up for the last decade of more than intermittent drought but this year's rain totals are surprisingly turning the tide on the depressing drought. As I watch the rain pour down like a waterfall I can only think of how much the water basins are rising because of the precious rain. We are well below our normal levels but our levels are rising giving hope to the thought that our water supply this coming year will not be a drastic situation. As well the snow pack in the higher elevations is rising as well. Our mountain runoff in the spring should be healthy and long.
     The things I took for granted when I was young like the seasonal allowances of rain is not like then now. So when we do get an abundance of rain it is like it is a gift. So watching this rain pour from the sky is refreshing and as a side note the continuity of the falling rain has been spelled by a day or so of no rain which allows the creek behind my yard to shrink from its swollen water flow. Keeping it in the creek and not in my backyard due to flooding is perfect. So rain hard for a while, take a little break, and then keep raining hard for a while again. My entertainment budget of zero is being amply filled with natures rain cycle.

No comments: