Tuesday, October 10, 2023

(#5364) I will be slowing down my work activities

      After careful consideration of all the factors involved I have decided that working full time is not for me. I am already retired with Social Security income but with the increase in profits by major manufactures and suppliers, the cost of things had pushed me back out into the workforce. I had hoped that finding a full time job with light duty aspects would come available but I didn't find anything here in my area of that nature. I did find with some help, a full time job as a caretaker housekeeper person at a storage facility but the demands of that position are not light duty, in fact too much of the time I find myself physically degraded from the workload expectation.
     So I informed my boss that I will be looking instead to reduce my hours to about 20 a week, when possible, and give him at least 2 weeks notice, which would help me with all the other things I have going on in my life yet still give me a large enough income to pay the bills. It isn't a mental decision on my part it is a physical one. My body, in this storage position, cannot keep up with the rigors demanded of it. I have so far but I feel every bit of it now and it is just getting harder to keep up. I will keep up until I get another work opportunity but at least I have started the process. I am 68 years old and I want to enjoy what is left of my life not have to be driving myself into the ground to continue with it.
      I have learned this lesson from the last 7 plus months and it is that I can build up to work a full workload but there will be a cost physically that I cannot afford to pay. Young people have little idea what I mean by this because they don't know just how much our older bodies decline from our more youthful strengths. I have to take care of me and if I am lucky and I can find a working position that honors my college degree with something of a more mental workload as opposed to physical I would consider that however I am certain that working 20 hours a week will allow me the freedom to take care of all the things that I need to do on the homefront. Quality of life at this stage is far more important that any quantity that I would suffer to add to my life.

No comments: