Monday, October 23, 2023

(#5377) No cane sugar cake today

      A friend of mine who likes baking cakes that have unique frosting images has been able to make me a no sugar cake with frosting using artificial sweeteners. She will bring it by today after I have already left for work most likely so I will be thinking about it as a special treat when I finally get home tonight. Today will be a little longer day for me away from home because not only am I working my 8 hour shift but immediately afterward I am heading downtown to see my brother John in the Hospice care home. I decided that since I last seen my blood sugar level just outside the normal range after the last blood test that I would hold to keeping sugar as best I could out of my diet.
     So far so good. I must admit that it wasn't that hard once I decided that I needed to work on my health at this later stage of my life. Priorities man, priorities! So already I have given up a lot of salt and now cutting out sugar is not as difficult. 17 years ago I gave up alcohol and cigarettes and have not been tempted mightily at all with those dismissals so salt and now sugar is not as difficult as I thought it might be. Especially since my friend is about to bring over her creation of a no sugar cake. That is what I miss a lot. Having a cake around the house to eat when I was in the mood for cake.
     Well if this new concoction of my friend meets with my approval that dynamic of not having a cake around the house will stop. If I were a younger man I would be all over trying to create a bakery called no sugar bakery. There are a lot of us out there who have given up eating sweets because there have been so few alternatives to cooking or baking with sugar but now with natural sweeteners it would seem that the opportunity to bring in a whole lot of market share into a healthy sweet alternative is available. Someone will eventually make this a successful life work but as of yet I know of no one who is doing a no sugar bakery on a scale that would satisfy the many of us who would eagerly add a no sugar bakery item to our shopping lists.

No comments: