Monday, October 7, 2019

Changing out a window on the house today (#3902)

     When I first got this house, which the original builder of the neighborhood kept as his own back in the early 1950's, it was with some unique shall I say features. Yet in today's society at least one of those unique features has become a real eyesore and inefficient usage of space. A full height garden window in one of the bedrooms. It is a fixed window which is to say it doesn't open to allow for air flow. Well today I am going to peel back some of the aluminum siding from the 1970's on the front of the house in order to replace the antiquated garden window feature with a shorter sliding window. So instead of having a 6 foot x 7 foot fixed window, I will have a 6 foot x 3 foot sliding window.
     In about an hour I will begin and by noon I should have at least the material removed where I am working and the rough frame and window in place. Then it is to match the existing siding out front under the aluminum siding so that when later this week I pull back the rest of the aluminum siding off the front of the house all will look like the 1951 model it originally was. I will need to fill in both the outside and inside with insulation and wall covering below the window but that I will accomplish after I go get what materials I will specifically need. I have another window I am going to put out front where an outside storage room is but that will be later this week or next week depending on how much the garden window replacement takes out of me.
     I am kind of excited about the whole thing since building and remodeling, commercial and residential, makes up a lot of my past background. I was a framer for many years. The kind of work that is satisfying to accomplish especially when it is done properly and efficiently. All the little minutiae of sealing and caulking of the framing around the foundation plate, with care to the detail on the new inside casement and trim. The final look should be as naturally authentic to the existing, notwithstanding the new primer and paint, that only a professional eye should be able to see the difference. Any way my body is not like the elastic nature of my youth so I will feel this project especially keenly as nothing I do nowadays is without a physical price. Yet I am still smiling. :)

No comments: