Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The last few weeks have been a reminder... (#3925)

     I started a small but intense construction project on my house and it has reminded me of my younger days doing production framing (residential and commercial building carpentry). I have been a physical wreck these last few weeks just trying to facelift a small section of my house and yet when I was younger I did much much more during the days of the week and although I was younger and stronger I remember feeling this bad every night after work. I as a rule work hard when I work so I do to myself what I do to myself. But when I started out in framing houses I had to be better or a harder worker than the next guy if I wanted to stay working.
     This is somewhat problematic in that like today, non minimum wage jobs are not easy to find when starting out and the toll it takes on many of us is tremendous when we get older. I still believe that capitalism is a good thing when coupled with regulation and social programs, yet the hard of the work and the hard of my effort make for a lousy later life. Most of us growing up from my generation in the working classes, especially those of us not in a Union, didn't have health insurance. So not only did we work through injuries, aches and pains but we weren't able to get things diagnosed to prevent future medical complications.
     This has all come back to me as vividly as possible and reaffirms my belief that no American, especially a worker should go without health care. When I would get home in the evenings after a long day of building I would be so tired as to just struggle to get a shower, dinner and then go to bed. All to just do it all over again in the early morning. I appreciate being able to work with my battered hands but when the job is all you are living for it makes me wonder how I kept my sanity all those years ago. I still am kind of in awe of those who could take vacations from work when I don't believe I have ever taken a vacation. I have had time off between jobs but with no pay coming in it wasn't a vacation, it was the reality of desperation setting in.

No comments: