Friday, October 25, 2019

I can't get too dependent on new technology (#3920)

     This morning is a perfect example of my worries of being too dependent on new technology. My Internet has gone down again for the umpteenth time and although I have a backup with my smart phone it can only do so much of what has become for me as a daily ritual. I realize that absolving myself of all new technology is ridiculous as I am just like every one else who likes bright shiny new objects that improve our communication and activities. Yet I know that it would only take one catastrophic outage to disrupt my abilities to communicate.
     So having a back up like a land line for a second method of communicating is not much of a change as disruptions could easily affect them as well. Maybe a ham radio or walkie-talkies could suffice or greater focus on newspapers and magazines but something outside of the current all in devices has to be considered. I don't like that there isn't another form of communication available that doesn't restrict our usages to one behemoth system. As it is now we are all linked by satellite except for landline phones which go through wires to connect to each other. We still have postal service and real live person private messaging, but for the most part we are all being bundled up into the satellite communication delivery system.
     Under normal progressive life this wouldn't necessarily bother me but given the advent of trump and his distinct intent to disrupt anything that isn't all about him my caution is becoming a concern. In lieu of him going and we Americans changing our government so that would be tyrants have no place or form in it I have to consider other forms of communication as a necessity now. This is just my first thoughts on the subject and I haven't had time to process much about it but be assured I will because if we cannot continue with communicating with each other on our own terms we may well find that not thinking about alternative ways of communicating is another failure we cannot afford.

No comments: