Saturday, October 19, 2019

My body just can't physically keep up with my mind (#3914)

     I have been working on another window replacement project on my 68 year old home and although I just finished putting in a new window in my brother John's room, this one is much trickier and tiring for me. It requires my attention in ways that dwarfed the other window replacement. I know, how hard can it be? Yet the permutations with this one are numerous and require lots of thought as to how it will change as it affects many different features in the house itself. Electrical, interior ceiling height, interior wall coverings and the flooring has to change. Suffice it to say I have it all under control but what is getting to me is the labor involved is much more intensive.
     The window itself is not the problem per se, but the materials that I have to apply around where the window is now available, isn't cut a dry. Structurally I have had to augment the existing with a more secure frame in order to satisfy my own sense of safety since when this house was built I am not sure the building codes were as safety conscious as they are now. So reinforcing structure and adding more insulation to indirect walls to the window is also being upgraded. Moving electrical boxes to new locations and again upgrading the old two prong receptacles to three prong for future complete wiring replacement once the roof is addressed. Flat top roof needs to be pitched, but not with a hip roof but a gabled roof to allow for greater access into the attic area.
     The roof has to wait for funds before I tackle that problem because it isn't just about the roof as it does affect many other areas of the building besides just the top. But on this window replacement project the hard of it is the constant mind games I keep playing in my head at night in order to not only anticipate today's upgrades but also any future ones. I am just about to button up the project as only a few more days will have the outside completed through caulking and primer. The inside will take longer as I am changing the wall coverings from sheetrock to plugged finished plywood and wood trim. I got a bit of a smashed finger for yesterday's efforts and hopefully that pounding ache will subside soon along with the long nights of what ifs.

No comments: