Saturday, January 8, 2022

(#4724) How to separate from angry illogical republicans

      We all face this particular dilemma. How do we separate ourselves from family and friends that otherwise are kind and loving but have the political sense of a rabid dog. I know what I have done that helped me to move away from them. When they are family it is much more difficult depending upon our relationship with them. On the most difficult ones I had to bite my tongue several times and let them vent their nonsense but not agree with them by saying I don't discuss politics with anyone. I made a point of not disagreeing with them but also not agreeing with them. I just let them hear their own words and then changed the subject.
     Over time however I moved away from them. I missed them but I could not let them browbeat me into accepting their disjointed hateful rhetoric. When they were racist or misogynist I calmly corrected them by saying we are all the same so color and gender are not degradations nor privileges. I would stop at that point and then change the subject again. What that accomplished is the reduction to elimination of racist and gender comments in jokes and angry statements when I was present. I planted my flag on the idea that we are all the same. This is all about timing so making sure you can separate yourself from them while not harming you in ways that you depended upon them previously.
     It is always better to not be around people that proliferate hate and belittling as a rule. You have to find your own way in life so working to become independent of others is always a benefit to you. That way you can be who you want to be without worrying whether you will pay a price that is too steep too pay. The control of your own life gives you the opportunity to become who you are and that is the greatest feeling to have when you can speak your mind without fear of reprisal because family or friends hold sway over you. I am separated from so many of my family and friends because of their republican political leanings that not only hurt others but hurt themselves. I did that when I no longer was in their debt as to how my day to day life operated.

No comments: