Saturday, October 23, 2021

(#4647) A big storm coming

      I have been mostly preoccupied with a nearly 6 inch of rain storm that is about to hit our Sacramento California area and as I share 125 foot border with the creek behind my house with a chain link fence I will get first hand knowledge if a flood is coming. Arcade Creek is a tributary from the eastern part of our city and county that serves as the last channel that flows into the Sacramento River. So much of that rain from the east will filter into Arcade Creek which borders my property. In the past I have seen several days of rain raise to the top of the creek and the bottom of the chain link fence in my backyard so this heavy rain that is coming could well go higher than that.
     I scaled the distance from my back patio to the bottom of the back chain link fence and the elevation is only approximately 24 inches. So if the flow coming down the creek exceeds its banks I am in danger of having water come into my house and garage. We will see if that happens and I am mildly prepared for that as far as getting items to higher ground. For the next 40 hours I doubt I will sleep much as I will be monitoring the growing height to the creek as the heavy rain pours down on our Sacramento county. I am of little doubt that the runoff from everywhere that flows into our creek will find it's way to us since the drought here has hardened our soil and makes it difficult for the water to absorb into the ground.
     I try to keep my mind on politics and when not that then sports of whatever variety. Yet this storm that is coming is going to consume me to the utmost since not only is my patched flat roof going to get a huge test as to its water seal the creek and its possible overflow into my yard and possibly into my house is half expected. Mother nature is going to have me by the short hairs beginning very shortly. I love that we are getting rain but I just wish the rain wasn't coming like a typhoon. I suppose this weather is similar to what those on the south and east coast must deal with every year with flooding and high winds but since we have wildfires and earthquakes I wasn't expecting heavy flooding as well.

No comments: