Monday, October 25, 2021

(#4649) The end of the storm

      Saturday evening, yesterday, last night, and into this morning I was reminded of the Movie "The longest Day". Of course I am not equating the two but yesterday for me was one hell of a long day. The storm began Saturday night and was coming down hard and fast into the early morning hours of Sunday and continued hard and fast all through the day and night on Sunday and into the early morning hours of Monday. For my part over the last 48 hours I have been in a proactive remediation mode. Like the old axiom, "Hope for the best but expect the worst". So putting preventative measures in place for the worst case as the storm was dictating. On another note, we here in Sacramento broke the all time record of rainfall for one day surpassing the total from 1880 that was 5.28 inches. As of 11:30 pm. last night we were at 5.35 and counting.
     There wasn't much time in there for me to get much sleep but I did slip in an hour or so a couple of times. I went through about 5 changes of clothes as the rain soaked me because of it's intensity and my monitoring of it. My Facebook page is littered with photos taken before, during, and after the storm as evidence of my attention to it. I cannot tell you how many times I checked several online weather sites specifically aimed at this storm and it's influence on my hometown Sacramento, California. As with all things weather, nothing can be taken as fact but only as likely. So being on edge to adapt to whatever was to come was my constant modus operandi.
     Nothing caught me off guard and luckily I avoided the internal house flooding I was always concerned about. No water got into my garage either but still came within a few inches of height of actually flooding my garage. With all the weather, the loss of power last night at about 11:00 pm. added to my anxiety when a huge tree branch fell in my next door neighbor's yard on several power lines. The flooding began receding at about 2 am. this morning just before the electrical workers came in force to do the repair. The power lines fell into my flooded yard and I was just able to recognize that before venturing out to check out the flooding. Blocking my animals from going out back as well. Long day yesterday and very stressful past 48 hours. But all is good as power was restored at about 5 am. and I got to sleep for about an hour before typing this up.

No comments: