Sunday, October 24, 2021

(#4648) The storm is here

     We did some late day repair yesterday on the flat roof here and the patches seem to be holding for now. The brunt of the storm hit about an hour ago so if leaking inside the house was going to happen it would have already begun. But as with the old flat roof on this house, after being beaten on by a steady onslaught of rain new gaps appear and new leaks show up. I will deal with those when they likely will happen but for now the roof is still holding up fine. As to the flooding issue, I just checked the creek out back and it is still low and flowing. But the low will not last long as the surface water from the east starts to accumulate and begin it's momentum towards me.
     I actually love the sound of the rain and whipping winds since I live in Sacramento, California where the sun and it's drought is my usual accompaniment. For a couple of decades I lived up north in Alaska and Washington state and while there came to enjoy the effects of constant rain and snow. I, when I was younger was fortunate to be raised in the hot climate of Sacramento that had all the nearby wonders of lakes, rivers and an ocean. Being young and vibrant I spent my youth in a paradise made for the young. As I have gotten older I am less excited about hot days and cool water to employ and would like a less hot climate and the sound of rain instead.
    I am married to the land here at my current home and until such a time I cannot keep up with the chores and repairs here, I will remain. So when I get a day or two of rain and wind it reminds me of where I would really like to be living. Back up north, with the more frequent wind and rain and where there is sun but not the heat of a drought stricken environment. Despite that hoped for scenario I am right now in the beginning of a huge storm that is sweeping our region and putting people like me who reside in a flood plain in an older home a bit on edge as to how this will end Monday morning. I will survive no matter the outcome but the silver linings will be enjoyed no matter what I will eventually endure because of them.

No comments: