Monday, September 4, 2023

(#5328) Labor day a day of rest for me

      The hard fought national holiday of labor is now upon us. For me it isn't a holiday for being busy it is a day to rest my weary bones. I have not planned some trip or some work detail at home, I am just going to relax and let the day be itself without me being in any hurry. It is almost like a pause in my routine of getting things done on some list I have in my head. I will do my daily chores but nothing beyond that. Well maybe some research into a few subjects but that is almost a daily chore with me. I like to know things and that doesn't ever seem to take a day off.
     As you may have surmised already I am an advocate for workers unions. I know there are internal problems with some unions but overall they are a mighty tool in securing rights and equitable pay for their members. The capitalists are not easily persuaded to share in the profits all workers help them accumulate so it is with unions and their ability to negotiate fairness and pay equity that most workers find that balance. With non union shops the will of the owners are the guiding principle and much more often than not the will of the owners supersedes the real needs of their workers and a quality of life that escapes them.
     With unions the owners are forced to negotiate in good faith based upon all the relevant factors. The owners are also protected in these negotiations because no one wants the businesses to fail, just to be more inclusive of the needs of workers. A fair middle ground is the ultimate goal and for that unions are the best placed resource to secure that middle ground that keeps a happy and appreciative workforce available to owners who need the security of faithful and hard working employees. Today we recognize the sacrifices that workers in the past fought through to win rights and equitable pay for all of us who have greatly benefitted from them. Thank you unionized labor for fighting on behalf of those of us who work daily for our survival.

No comments: