Friday, November 17, 2023

(#5402) For some of my shortcomings, root canal this morning :)

      The moment has finally arrived where I am just less than an hour from leaving home to go sit in a dentist's chair. I don't dread it actually I am ambivalent pretty much. The last four times I have had my dentist work on drilling in my mouth I have not had one episode of a sharp pain from a wily nerve. So it is with some confidence that I expect the same this morning. Teeth are kind of weird in my book. They are so important for keeping our food edible but are a real pain to keep healthy. I, like many before me did not appreciate their value at a younger age and am now paying the price for that too often choice of neglect.
     Such is my morning anyway. I didn't know what to write about this morning but the dental visit was always in the front of my mind. So that is what I have decided to describe. I spent the early part of my life with the effects of a rock fight when I was 8. I was hit squarely on my two beautiful big front teeth and both were permanently dislodged. So I heard all the toothless jokes growing up until my mouth stopped growing and I could get a permanent bridge fitted. So me being less than careful with my dental needs is baffling in a way because with my experience I should have known better. I guess subconsciously I was doing some things to help but surely not enough.
     We all have our little burdens in life to carry and this morning this is one of mine. Yet it is a positive thing that I can have such work accomplished when it is really needed. I haven't eaten since yesterday late afternoon in preparation for this procedure through my own precaution. I am sure my stomach will be rumbling later this morning after I get home with a mouth full of numbness and an advisory not to eat for several hours afterward. But my mind will be thinking about the next meal around noon or so and that is a pleasant distraction. Root canals are not fun things but I will find a way to make it so. At least that is my goal. :)

No comments: