Friday, September 10, 2021

(#4605) I am like a kid seeing rain for the first time

      Late last evening I sat out in the rain because for rain to be here in Sacramento California was quite a treat and for me entertaining. I know the seriousness of our drought and the real need for rain to dampen the current burning fires here, but at a micro level, for me, it was all about me. I am one of the few who loves rain more than I love the shining sun. I was raised in Sacramento and a few other California towns so being hot and sun tanned most of my life I have gotten my fill of that extreme. I also lived my middle years up in the north Seattle area and know rain and snow well also.
     I am no young buck anymore so being quiet and enjoying nature is my new paradigm. I yearn now to be back in the Seattle area where the rain is a constant friend and the snow a special guest once in a while. Here in Sacramento I rarely get to see and feel rain and honestly only experience snow when I go up into high elevations. Now even high elevations don't automatically mean snow as the drought and lack of rain is turning the beautiful state of California into more desert than green farmland. So when the rain came last evening I was excited like a kid and went out and sat in it for at least half an hour. The warm temperature allowed me to wear a t-shirt and cutoffs with no shoes so I could absorb the precious water from the sky.
     This morning I got up early like usual and went out back to water my trees, bushes, and plants as a weekly commitment and while out back got some more of that unexpected rain. So there I stood in the dawn of the morning absorbing the rain into my face. I don't know when I will get to feel the rain on my face again but for today I am well satisfied. The weather prognosticators don't hold much hope for more rain anytime soon but at least this little water from the sky respite was happily accepted. It isn't often that I can feel like a kid and when it happens I smile and remember the times in my life when similar occasions occurred and how happy I was to be part of it. I need more rain in my face. :)

No comments: