Sunday, September 12, 2021

(#4607) When I am rightly corrected in anger I don't respond well

      Everyday I prove that I am human by making some kind of a mistake or more. It is not uncommon for me to find that I have not done enough or misunderstood something. I know myself and am not surprised nor startled at the possibility. I actually like it when others point out my mistakes and for the most part am humbled and remorseful to correct the mistake with apologies all around. Except, when the one or others who point out my mistake(s) with anger or condescension I automatically go into I don't give a fuck mode. In fact I will get contrary and try to defend my mistake with some obscure idiotic attempt. Not because I know I am right, but because I am pissed off at the person who is belittling me.
     I know that is not how to handle these types of situations. But the idea that others would rip me a new one because I unintentionally made a wrong choice is a real trigger for me. They think that I am a substitute target for their anger at something else and tear into me because it was convenient. Instead of being polite or even civil in telling me there is something wrong with what I did. I am okay with that when it is done without an ulterior motive. I suppose because I am writing about this today I will think of better ways to handle the rude ones who are correct in their correcting me but are wrong about how they deliver their correction to me.
     Life is about learning right up to the end of life so I will keep doing that and try not to blow a gasket or act irrationally when confronted with these types of situations. I am a humble man for the most part until my anger is triggered then it is all hands on deck with my defensive reactions. I need to upgrade my responses to a more intelligent variety where I turn their harsh rebuke of me into a more reasonable retort. I do make mistakes, but not because I don't care, no, because I do care and I am a human being. I don't want to ever make a mistake especially when others are either misinformed or hurt by it. There is never an intentionality to my actions to be wrong. Being civil or even polite is the way I respect others when I spot a mistake and I would hope I would get that same type of courtesy when I make a mistake.
     

No comments: