Wednesday, May 3, 2023

(#5204) I know who I am by knowing who I am not

      This of course is not absolute in its application but for the most part it is an effective way of discovering who you are as a person. After the trial end error period of our youth we had at least started to form a baseline. But like all things as we grow older some of our earlier foundations have shifted. Not in demonstrably chaotic ways but more like subtly. More nuanced for the most part. As we get older the subtle movements within our original understanding of ourselves are evolving but the main path we had found remains undeterred. I ams who I ams like Popeye the cartoon character would say.
     Some things were immediately knowable as to who I was at a very early age. I knew I wasn't one to be a bad guy. Never have a felt any inclination to harm others for my own self interest. Instead I have always wanted to be the opposite of that and help people who need help. I know this about myself and have never needed to trial and error that conclusion. Some more difficult decisions about who I am do need some form of trial and error and that is an effective way to know for sure where I stand on those complexities. What I will say is this that when we have a question or doubt about who we are then we need to find some form of an equation in order to get to a conclusion.
     Never leave yourself in limbo as to how you see yourself. Very rarely are things cut and dry as to what we should be and do in all situations. But the sooner you know who you are not, then the sooner you will get to who you are. Often the process of elimination is simple but as well many situations are more complex. The point is to keep at it until you know where you are and who you are at that moment of realization so you can move forward. We are constantly upgrading our knowledge and adding more information about ourselves to our understanding of who we are. Why should we keep at trying to figure out who we are? If life is going to have any meaning for us then knowing who we are and what we will hold dear or fight for is an imperative for our rational existence.

No comments: