Saturday, May 20, 2023

(#5221) A new beginning again

      So yesterday at work, I am a part time transfer driver for U-Haul, I was offered a full time position. When I originally went to work for U-Haul I thought that the best I could do physically was just part time. Well after a few months of doing the job I believe I can go to full time. The reason is that my body is holding up well, no dizzy spells or fatigue. So with things being what they are I am ready to try a full time position under one condition, that it is not too strenuous or involves moving heavy objects. Well it seems that being in the parts department at our work site is not as strenuous or prone to lifting heavy objects as a rule. Which would fit within my requirements.
     I start this coming Tuesday as I wanted to give our dispatcher at least a few days to find a replacement for me. So I will do my last shift as a transfer driver on Monday and then begin my full time employment the next day. I was a little surprised that the site boss offered me the job even at my age, still 67, but I am a people person at heart and I think he wanted me in that department so that I could help it communicate even more with the other departments and vendors. At least that is my strong suit but let there be no doubt the work of categorizing and storing of necessary parts and learning the outline of the in and out process will be foremost.
     I am a bit nervous but also a bit excited. The fellas that work in the parts department are good men and have always been available to me to answer questions and help me understand where the parts that they produce go and to whom. As a transfer driver I was responsible for delivering to other U-Haul stores, when possible, requested parts from our central parts department in our region. Now being a worker in the central parts department I will have some insight into a process that is crucial to an overall smooth running corporation. Surrounded by good people and doing vital work has always been a win/win with me and now I get that opportunity on Tuesday.

No comments: