Wednesday, May 24, 2023

(#5225) First day at new job and it was tough but doable

      Being an older person who is not perfectly adept at new tech on the computers is my biggest obstacle to doing my job well. However, I am learning the basics and in a little bit of time will need no assistance in navigating the odd deliveries that don't fall under the normal protocols. I can't expect myself to remember every nuance being thrown at me but I am getting the hang of where my most important guidelines exist. It may take and surely will a few more days to get the majority of my questions resolved but that is normal in learning new concepts with inventory and placement.
     One thing for sure though is that I like this position and have let those who are in control here know it. Yesterday and today were/are like trial days for me but after the first day of early struggle and then later day of successes I am confident that categorizing inventory and getting it into its proper place is within my wheelhouse. The work is constant and not overly physical so that aspect meets my needs. I like being busy because it helps the day move along at a good clip. Plus the work itself is good work that actually tires me out and that is what I need. Last night I slept good and that hasn't happened for a long long time. The right kind of tired is important for me for not only my body but for my mind.
     So when I am physically tired and mentally tired that means I am giving one hundred percent of me to the job. And that is how it should be. So this morning as I get ready for another day of less uncertainty I am still a bit anxious but not nearly as much as yesterday. The guys in the parts department are helpful but they have their tasks to complete as well so as long as I am not interrupting them too much they are happy enough to keep showing me the ropes. That is how it is done at this shop. Learn on the fly and learn well. I know I have the aptitude for this work but knowing it and applying it are two different paradigms. There is no challenge though that can dissuade me when It is my goal to reach it.

No comments: