Sunday, August 6, 2023

(#5299) Cleaning John's room on this Sunday

      All John's belongings in his room have been packed away by Debbie and Laurie and carted out into the front room with his furniture so that we can give his room a deep cleaning. The hospital bed is taken apart and stacked against the wall for some other storage spot out into the den which is where I am storing unneeded items of furniture and personal items. The problem at the moment is that I have a lot of stuff that has filled the den over the last year so I cannot temporarily store John's things for now. But the walls and baseboards have gotten attention and now the carpet has been thoroughly vacuumed and right now the carpet cleaning machine is doing it's magic.
     I bought a carpet cleaner last month in anticipation of needing it in John's room since he was prone to making messes on the floor. Soon, by tomorrow I should be able to put back his regular bed and store his other belongings back into his room. John wanted me to keep his room for him and for now I will do that. There will come a point where it becomes obvious that John will not be able to come back home. That is the diagnosis but I will not fully believe it until I see it. Until then I am going about the business of cleaning his room in anticipation of his return. All of this is a bit surreal and really hit home with me yesterday when I was sitting with him in the big room just before breakfast at the care facility.
     John was again hollering for help when I got there and when I went to where he was he was sitting in a wheelchair full of anxiety. I told him what happened to him, A loss of blood to his brain that resulted in parts of his brain deprived of blood and oxygen for too long. I Also told him that all the people in the care home were there to help him with his needs. I didn't tell him that his symptoms were irreversible because again I don't want to negate his hope. I want him to fight to the end for his life and do what he can to overcome his physical liabilities. He deserves the fight and hopefully he will fight harder against the odds.

No comments: