Monday, August 21, 2023

(#5314) The smell of rain in the air in August

      I am sitting here thinking about a subject to write about but I can't get out of my mind the wonderful smell of rain in the air. It is just after 5 am here in Sacramento and the windows are open to let the breezy rainy air into the house. It is a warm kind of muggy rain smell but nonetheless it is so unusual for us here to have rain in the month of August. Almost unheard of to be more precise. I know we are getting the edge of the remnant of the Hurricane that hit California's southern coast. Most of southern California got a good drenching but we here in the Sacramento valley are only getting drizzle not down pours.
     The temperatures this time of year are around 100 degrees daily with a slowly winding down toward the mid 90's. So the idea that rain is pattering down on my roof was enough for me to go outside and stand in it to soak in the little bit I could. The weather map shows that the rain will likely stop in about 3 or 4 hours as the wet weather system breaks down and moves further east. But until then I am hopeful that the ground here will get an unexpected watering to ease some of the drought like conditions we have in Central California. It will be another 2 months before we can expect the normal chances for rain to appear so this morning is a treat for me.
     I have said this numerous times, that as I get older the more I appreciate the cooler climates of places like Seattle Washington. When I was younger and full of vigor I loved the hot days and the local lakes and rivers where I could cool off from the outside activities. Now I am all about staying close to home and feeling the rain as it comes down. I am still here in Sacramento but if I had my druthers I would be in the Seattle area somewhere. I like the rain and when it shows up, even if fleetingly, in a very unusual way like this morning, then my spirit is lifted and I enjoy the moment in an inspiringly profound way.

No comments: