Thursday, February 8, 2018

When being stupid gets in the way of doing right (#3296)

     I just had an encounter with a person who is tired of others trying to right a wrong because she felt that no one cared for a long time and so we shouldn't care now. I suppose frustration has something to do with it but still, trying to highlight a problem and then being pissed on for trying to highlight a problem is the problem I reference. I don't care that others may not have taken this problem on like this woman was pointedly angry about. That I was at least showing that it is a problem gives her no reason to attack me for pointing out there is a problem. It is like her argument for no one caring in the past is more important than someone caring now. Again, I get that she may have been frustrated but to attack like she did without seeing that advancing the problem for discussion is what is needed, not her telling us that we need to stop talking about it because no one cared in the past.
     I just have to call that stupid. If I were passionate about something in particular I would take every opportunity to increase the discussion about it not stomp the discussion out. We all have our problems personally in life but that does not give us the license to be rude and childish. Throwing a tantrum over a lack of care when that lack care is being exposed is enough of a head scratcher without the condescending attitude about why others may care to solve the problem. I suppose the whole exchange made me angry that we liberals are sometimes as absurd as the intentionally cruel conservatives. Just because a problem has not be addressed over time does not make it any less a problem.
     I think about how women fought for their right to vote for generations and how the slaves fought for their right to be free for centuries. Nothing worth having will come immediately because there are so many conservatives in power that they keep the wrong in place so that they can continue to enjoy their advantages and privileges at the expense of others. Their survival of the fittest doctrine is hard to overcome but we keep trying just like the problem this woman who was trying to stop a conversation about even though she wants a solution. We cannot get so defeated in our thinking that we stop trying to solve problems. Just because it is insane that we have to fix simple things but cannot because republicans won't let us does not give us the right to turn on each other like what just happened to me.

No comments: